BRAISED BABY POTATOES - 알감자 조림 (Algamja Jorim)

The first time I ate in a Korean Restaurant I was really shocked on why do they have different kind of appetizers served together with the main dish (I think it was 7 different appetizers including the ever famous Korean dish, Kimchi). Well I love it a lot thought. I guess it is also the reason why I gained weight that fast (If you tried eating there, you know what I mean).

Since then, I always make sure that I have this appetizer whenever I eat in a Korean Resto. As the New Year comes, I make sure I include this recipe in our menu --- for some luck as well (circle = coins = money).
The most uncommon to me is this potatoes which are really small, almost as the same size of a grape. I was not quite familiar that those baby potatoes were edible at that size. Surprisingly the appetizer tasted good with the right combination of sweetness and saltiness so I want to share this recipe which I derived from various internet websites.
 Ingredients
30 pieces of Baby Potatoes
4 cups of Water
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
4 Tbsp Corn Syrup
2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp Mirin
1 tsp Sesame Seeds, toasted

Procedure:
1. Clean baby potatoes in water. Drain the water.
2. In a large sauce pan, boil baby potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes under high fire until half cooked.
3. Add soy sauce, mirin, sugar and corn syrup. Cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the baby potatoes are cooked. At this point, the sauce also thickens.
4. Turn off burner and remove from heat. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seed. Ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...