CINNAMON ROLLS

I remember when I was young I really do hate cinnamon or any products with cinnamon. Actually products with herbs and spices. I was more on the conservative side that I would only eat foods that I was familiar. I was not really an adventurous person especially when it comes to food. Yes, picky-eater, we can put it that way. Herbs and spices for me were like dry cough medicines that I would rather cry than to take it or foreign objects that will take my entire time removing it while they all finished their meal. I would not eat adobo if my mom or my dad would put bay leaves on it or even cilanto on spring rolls filling.



Everything changed of course when our kitchen became my world. My taste buds adapted to new flavors as my parents involved me in home cooking. My mom usually brings us breads as an afternoon snack like Spanish breads, banana breads and cinnamon rolls (kinda weird huh?). I like cinnamon rolls since then because of its mixed flavor and texture. There is the sweetness from the filling and glaze. You can also taste the sourness from the raisins and then if course the kick of the cinnamon. Bread is moist and soft but the nuts give it a crunch in every bite.

I still have lots to learn in bread making and someday I want to attend trainings, workshops and seminars about breads and cakes. I just read books and over the internet on recipes and techniques in bread making. I had a chance to test my skills and made these delectable treats.(Sorry, forgot to take a picture of it)


Ingrdients:
For the dough
3 pcs Egg Yolks
1 pc Whole Egg
1/4 cup White Sugar
1/4 cup Butter, unsalted
3/4 cup Fresh Milk
4 cups All Purpose Flour
2 1/4 tsp (7g) Instant Yeast
1 1/4 tsp Refined Salt
Vegetable oil, for greasing

For the filling
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon Powder
Pinch of refined salt
1/4 cup Butter, Unsalted, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup California Raisins
Procedure:
For the dough
1. Using an electric mixer, fit with paddle attachment. Combine and mix flour and yeast.
2. While doing so, heat milk, butter, sugar and salt in a small saucepan with constant stir until warm or until butter is almost melted (when using a kitchen thermometer, it is about 120 degrees Fahrenheit or 50 degrees Celsius).
3. Gradually pour warm milk mixture into the mixing bowl in low speed. Beat eggs well before each addition. Make sure to add eggs one at a time and do not forget to scrape down sides of the bowl. Shift to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
4. Replace attachment with dough hook. Knead dough for 3 to 5 minutes until a smooth, soft and elastic dough is formed. Make sure that the dough is not sticky.
5. Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Turn dough once. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise until almost double. This usually takes approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Only place dough in a warm place to rise.
6. Gently punch the dough to release air and let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.

For the filling
1. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and butter. Mix filling until crumbly using a pastry blender or simply by two knives.
2. Set a side and ready to use.

Making the Roll
1. Roll dough into a 12-inch square using a rolling pin.
2. Sprinkle filling evenly on the dough leaving at least 1/4 inch on each side. Top with raisins afterwards.
3. Lightly brush one end of the dough with egg whites (from the egg yolk used in the dough). This will help sealing the edges of the roll.
4. Roll the dough starting at the end opposite the edge with egg white. Make sure not to roll the dough too lightly or the centers of the roll will pop up during baking.
5. Slice the rolled dough into eight equal parts starting from the center.
6. Arrange rolls in a greased baking pan and cover loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap. Let the rolls rise until almost doubled at room temperature which will take about an hour.
7. Brush rolls with the remaining egg whites and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees Celsius for about 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. You can also check if the rolls are ready using a toothpick method (toothpick inserted on the roll and comes out clean).
8. Remove rolls from oven and place in a cooling rack. Cool for about 5 minutes.
9. Remove from baking pan by inverting onto a cooling rack to loosen.
10. Ready to serve. You can put glaze but I prefer the not too sweet cinnamon rolls.

Tips:
* Another way to check if cinnamon rolls are done, lightly tap on the top of the buns. It should sound hollow. 
* During baking, to prevent over-browning, cover rolls loosely with foil the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking

 Should you have any queries or suggestion, do not forget to leave it in the comment box or email me at jambathan@gmail.com. Please feel free to add to JOIN THIS SITE. Thank you for the continuous support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...